Analysing the Costs of DNS, DoT and DoH for the Modern Web

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Tue Aug 6 04:08:22 UTC 2019

On Aug 5, 2019, at 20:44, Luiz Fernando Softov via Unbound-users <unbound-users at nlnetlabs.nl> wrote:

> Great job, great paper, there is a lot of info no one known.
>
> But, there is some mistakes, like in page 2, column 2:
> "DoH is similar to DoT, but uses HTTP as the transport protocol instead of TCP."

I don't think that is necessarily the error that you think it is.

The text (to my eye) does not suggest that HTTP and TCP are equivalent, but rather that they are both transport protocols of DNS, which I think is a reasonable assertion. In the derivative cases of DoH and DoT, both are wrapped with TLS. I do not share your interpretation that there is an inference that HTTP and TCP are somehow equivalent.

I have not fully digested the paper and all of its observations, but that (above) to my mind is not a reason to stop reading.

Joe