Analysing the Costs of DNS, DoT and DoH for the Modern Web

Luiz Fernando Softov fernando at softov.com.br
Tue Aug 6 04:36:21 UTC 2019

Sorry, I not mean to be bad in the words.
I thought it was some project, research or school and that he needed some
help.

Text interpretation is unique. Each interpletes as it sees fit.
In this case, I understood that he made a comparison, and then explained
the difference.

As you said, DoH and DoT are wrapped with TLS.

Then both are wrapped in TCP.

As to complement the paper, there is a simple doc about DoH at
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/dns-over-tls

When using a strict privacy profile, stub resolvers establish a
DNS-over-TLS connection with the following steps.

1. The stub resolver is configured with the DNS-over-TLS resolver name
dns.google.
2. The stub resolver obtains the IP address(es) for dns.google using the
local DNS resolver.
3. The stub resolver makes a TCP connection to port 853 at the one those IP
address.
4. The stub resolver initiates a TLS handshake with the Google Public DNS
resolver.
5. The Google Public DNS server returns its TLS certificate along with a
full chain of TLS certificates up to a trusted root certificate.
6. The stub resolver verifies the server's identity based on the
certificates presented.
  . If the identity cannot be validated, DNS name resolution fails and the
stub resolver returns an error.
7. After the TLS connection is established, the stub resolver has a secure
communication path between to a Google Public DNS server.
8. Now the stub resolver can send DNS queries and receive responses over
the connection.