Unbound fails to resolve subdomain

Matthias G. Vossen matthias.vossen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 09:17:39 UTC 2021

Hello everybody! I have encountered an interesting problem which may or may not be a glitch in unbound. The problem and several tries to alleviate it have been documented in detail here: https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/pi-hole-with-unbound-not-resolving-subdomain/45233 In short, my unbound configuration is able to resolve wunderground.com (http://wunderground.com/) without problems, but not weatherstation.wunderground.com (http://weatherstation.wunderground.com/). The resolve reaches a point where weatherstation.wunderground.com (http://weatherstation.wunderground.com/) is referred to rtupdate.wunderground.com (http://rtupdate.wunderground.com/), but in total fails to resolve to an IP adress and most of the times dig experiences a timeout. A dig to opendns or google dns resolves just fine. Configs have been checked and double checked without result. I am running unound v 1.9 on raspian buster. Maybe someone has an idea? Best, Matthias