Allowed Characters in DNS names in unbound's local data

Shanmuga Rao rooney.shan17 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 15:03:55 UTC 2019

Hello,

We are planning to use unbound to perform DNS overrides for traffic
redirection in certain locations within our org.  I was wondering if there
are any restrictions imposed on the DNS Names/CNAMEs we would add in the
unbound.conf under local zone and data?

For example, AD DNS contains a list of characters that are not allowed,
list of characters/digits a record should not start with etc. Do the same
rule apply to unbound as well or can we go a bit crazy with our naming
conventions ?

I apologize in advance If there is already some documentation on this.
Please redirect me to them if available.

Thanks!!