EDNS module Performance

Wouter Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu Aug 2 10:54:05 UTC 2018

Hi Alexandre,

On 08/02/2018 12:07 PM, Alexandre Wicquart via Unbound-users wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I'm currently benchmarking EDNS client module for unbound and i can
> handle about 75/80% less than before.
>

> The tests are made on a Debian Stretch 9.5 with unbound 1.7.3 (I have
> the same results with 1.6.7).
>
> My server can handle about 280k req/sec without UDP errors and a minimal
> configuration.
>
> Once i add 'subnetcache' to module-config in my configuration my rate go
> down to 55k req/sec.
>
> Over this limit, i have a lot of UDP errors.

If what you are suffering from is UDP errors, and not really performance
of edns-client-subnet.  Then there are a couple of options in
unbound.conf that you can tune.  so-reuseport: yes increases performance
and may remove UDP errors, this may happen by spreading the queries over
threads more equally so they do not get lost.  so-rcvbuf: 4m and
so-sndbuf: 4m may remove UDP errors, caused by the UDP buffers that can
only have a number of queries waiting and unbound momentarily occupied
by processing elsewhere.

num-threads should also increase performance; if you haven't set it, it
is at 1 and could go up to your number of cores.

Best regards, Wouter