[RPKI] Routinator Loss of Internet

Martin Hoffmann martin at nlnetlabs.nl
Tue Oct 5 10:59:06 UTC 2021

Jacquie Zhang via RPKI wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to focus this post on the event that a Routinator loses its
> Internet connection and can't get to any root TAL.
>
> What will happen then?
>
> Will the Routinator continue keeping the RTR sessions to the routers
> up and feed EoD every time when a Serial Query is received from a
> router?

Yes. Routinator will never close a functioning session itself.
Exception are the client sending broken data, Routinator being shut
down, or, of course, some bug we haven’t found yet.

But, as mentioned in the other mail, if the outage goes on for a long
time, you will slowly see your VRP set shrink as ROAs become invalid
because they or their CAs expire. We’re talking about hours here, but
it’s something to be aware of.

Cheers,
Martin