[RPKI] Routinator Loss of Internet

Jacquie Zhang jac.tech0 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 09:49:34 UTC 2021

Hi,

I'd like to focus this post on the event that a Routinator loses its
Internet connection and can't get to any root TAL.

What will happen then?

Will the Routinator continue keeping the RTR sessions to the routers up and
feed EoD every time when a Serial Query is received from a router? From my
lab Cisco ASR9k I could see that as long as the router receives EoD PDU
from the Routinator within the retry time (response time in Cisco's term),
the expire timer (purge timer in Cisco's term) doesn't kick in, so the RTR
session remains up. This means the routers will have no awareness that the
validator has lost its connections to the Repository.

I think this will be a good thing. Can someone please confirm that?

Unfortunately, due to various reasons, I can't run a test in my lab.

Thanks,
Jacquie