[nsd-users] tinydns to nsd

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Tue Dec 24 13:59:53 UTC 2019

On 24/12/2019 14:01, richard lucassen via nsd-users wrote:

> Ok, thnx. I'm busy now to "sed" the tinydns format to nsd format. Is
> there somehow a way to tell nsd to use 1 file for all zones? NSD will

No. NSD is more traditional, so it needs a separate file per zone.

> only read these files when it receives a HUP or a restart and converts
> it to a db format. Now I need to add a domain in two places: 1) the

The DB format is optional, and in fact, not recommended these days. Just
set:

database: ""

in your nsd.conf, and NSD will not build a database file. It will just
read zones into memory and serve from there.

> zone file itself and 2) an include in the config file containing:
>
> zone:
>    name: "example1.com"
>    zonefile: "com/example1/zone"
> zone:
>    name: "example2.com"
>    zonefile: "com/example2/zone"
>
> That needs more scripting and I'm lazy ;-)

Yeah, but you just need to do this once, right?

If you're going to be adding and removing zones on the fly, you can do
that with NSD. You can either add/remove zones in the nsd.conf file, and
reload NSD, or use "addzone" and "delzone" with nsd-control.

Regards,
Anand