[nsd-users] tinydns to nsd

Tue Dec 24 21:28:31 UTC 2019

On Tue, 24 Dec 2019 14:59:53 +0100
Anand Buddhdev <anandb at ripe.net> wrote:

I do not receive my own posts, I also get "needs moderator approval"
although I received a welcome to this mailinglist. Must be something
wrong somewhere...

> > only read these files when it receives a HUP or a restart and
> > converts it to a db format. Now I need to add a domain in two
> > places: 1) the
>
> The DB format is optional, and in fact, not recommended these days.
> Just set:
>
> database: ""
>
> in your nsd.conf, and NSD will not build a database file. It will just
> read zones into memory and serve from there.

I use the default /var/lib/nsd/nsd.db, that's what I meant with db, just
"database".

> > zone file itself and 2) an include in the config file containing:
> >
> > zone:
> >    name: "example1.com"
> >    zonefile: "com/example1/zone"
> > zone:
> >    name: "example2.com"
> >    zonefile: "com/example2/zone"
> >
> > That needs more scripting and I'm lazy ;-)
>
> Yeah, but you just need to do this once, right?

Yep, that's true, but I'm too lazy sometimes :)

> If you're going to be adding and removing zones on the fly, you can do
> that with NSD. You can either add/remove zones in the nsd.conf file,
> and reload NSD, or use "addzone" and "delzone" with nsd-control.

I just had a glance at nsd-control it and indeed, I think it is nicer to
invoke an "nsd-control reconfig" instead of telling the supervisor to
restart nsd.

OTOH, nsd does not read its config file when receiving a HUP. It would
be a nice if a USR2 would force a config reload in case of a supervised
setup. Maybe that's something for the wishlist.

R.

--
richard lucassen
http://contact.xaq.nl/