[nsd-users] tinydns to nsd

Tue Dec 24 13:01:10 UTC 2019

On Tue, 24 Dec 2019 12:11:10 +0100
Anand Buddhdev <anandb at ripe.net> wrote:

> > I'm looking at NSD now and I think I can use NSD the same way I use
> > tinydns. The only difference is the "one file contains it all"
> > system, but that's rather easy to script. Just rsync the zone files
> > and send a HUP to the supervisor. If a nameserver is not reachable
> > it it will autmagically synchronise.
> >
> > Are there good reasons *not* to use nsd this way? This will not be a
> > 1000000 queries per second system BTW.
>
> This is a perfectly reasonable way to use NSD. In fact, it is somewhat
> better than using zone transfers between one NSD master and some
> slaves, because NSD is only able to provide a full AXFR, but not an
> incremental IXFR. So rsyncing the zones is probably the most
> efficient. As a side effect, you don't need to arrange for NOTIFY
> between the servers, nor any kind of XFR ACLs or TSIG keys.

Ok, thnx. I'm busy now to "sed" the tinydns format to nsd format. Is
there somehow a way to tell nsd to use 1 file for all zones? NSD will
only read these files when it receives a HUP or a restart and converts
it to a db format. Now I need to add a domain in two places: 1) the
zone file itself and 2) an include in the config file containing:

zone:
   name: "example1.com"
   zonefile: "com/example1/zone"
zone:
   name: "example2.com"
   zonefile: "com/example2/zone"

That needs more scripting and I'm lazy ;-)

R.

--
richard lucassen
http://contact.xaq.nl/