[nsd-users] tinydns to nsd

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Tue Dec 24 11:11:10 UTC 2019

On 21/12/2019 13:01, richard lucassen via nsd-users wrote:

Hi Richard,

> I'm looking at NSD now and I think I can use NSD the same way I use
> tinydns. The only difference is the "one file contains it all" system,
> but that's rather easy to script. Just rsync the zone files and send a
> HUP to the supervisor. If a nameserver is not reachable it it will
> autmagically synchronise.
>
> Are there good reasons *not* to use nsd this way? This will not be a
> 1000000 queries per second system BTW.

This is a perfectly reasonable way to use NSD. In fact, it is somewhat
better than using zone transfers between one NSD master and some slaves,
because NSD is only able to provide a full AXFR, but not an incremental
IXFR. So rsyncing the zones is probably the most efficient. As a side
effect, you don't need to arrange for NOTIFY between the servers, nor
any kind of XFR ACLs or TSIG keys.

Regards,
Anand