[nsd-users] tinydns to nsd

Sat Dec 21 12:01:06 UTC 2019

I have used tinydns for many many years now and it has always worked
very well. I like its simplicity: 1 text file is converted into a cdb
database, there's no master/slave environment (all nameservers are
equal) and synchronisation is done by rsync. Tinydns is run by runit, a
supervise system.

I'm looking at NSD now and I think I can use NSD the same way I use
tinydns. The only difference is the "one file contains it all" system,
but that's rather easy to script. Just rsync the zone files and send a
HUP to the supervisor. If a nameserver is not reachable it it will
autmagically synchronise.

Are there good reasons *not* to use nsd this way? This will not be a
1000000 queries per second system BTW.

R.

--
richard lucassen