[nsd-users] questions how NSD slave handles XFR and how to improve XFR-patching performance

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Mon Apr 8 06:57:09 UTC 2019

On 04/04/2019 23:07, Klaus Darilion wrote:

Good morning Klaus!

[snip]

> Any ideas to improve the XFR-applying-speed? I think the most time
> consuming part is the clone() (P2 has around 2.3million page tables).
> Are there and config/build options to improve this? Ie huge pages? Using
> some other forking function?

I can't comment on improving NSD's XFR-handling model, but you could
throttle it by setting a larger value for "xfrd-reload-timeout" in
nsd.conf. The default is 1 second, but if you set it to something like
30 seconds, then NSD will receive and apply the XFRs received, but only
reload once every 30s, and allow the server some breathing room.

Regards,
Anand Buddhdev
RIPE NCC