[nsd-users] NSD does not automatically start on FreeBSD reboot

Lew Payne lew.payne at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 17:36:25 UTC 2010

Hello Paul - I'm a dedicated FreeBSD user, and I've been running NSD
for several years now, on several machines.  I have yet to have an NSD
problem during reboot.  I suggest you:

tail  -80  /var/log/messages  /var/log/security

... and see if there's any diagnostic output.  You may also want to do
a "dmesg" and see if there's anything out of the ordinary (such as a
pid exiting prematurely).  The only other obvious reason would be due
to a spelling error in /etc/rc.conf before or on the NSD line (which
means that something before it didn't start also).  Observing the
system reboot on the console terminal might yield some clues.

Hope that helps... please keep me posted on what you find!

Regards,
Lew Payne