[nsd-users] Basic Logging Support Via Syslog

Greg A. Woods woods at planix.ca
Tue Oct 13 15:16:01 UTC 2009

At Wed, 2 Sep 2009 00:13:24 +0200, Greg Holmberg <greg+nsd at holmberg.to> wrote:
Subject: Re: [nsd-users] Basic Logging Support Via Syslog

> On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 09:19:15AM +0200, W.C.A. Wijngaards wrote:
> >
> > ... is [tcpdump] not good enough for that purpose [logging NXDOMAINs]?
> >

> If the interface is left in promiscuous mode continuously, there
> are a few things to be aware of.

Even more importantly than all of those things, looking at the traffic
passed on one or all interfaces does not show us how the application
(NSD in this case of course) interpreted the requests and responded to
them, etc.

Query logging that could be toggled on and off at runtime with some sort
of external signal would be quite valuable for all kinds of diagnostic
use.  Logging of responses would also be useful.

It would be very nice to have such logging implemented in an efficient
and non-intrusive way, but I think if the control test is done carefully
enough that when off it had negligible impact then even including
logging within performance critical sections would be quite useful for
diagnostic purposes.

--
						Greg A. Woods
						Planix, Inc.