unbound does not write pidfile

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue May 2 07:03:04 UTC 2023

01.05.2023 13:20, LibertyX via Unbound-users пишет:
> Hi,
>
> It has worked a realy long time, but since the last debian (bullseye) Update, unbound does not write the pidfile anymore.
>
> My Setup:
>
> Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
> Linux 5.10.0-22-amd64
> unbound stable V1.13.1
>
> In the unbound Config i have configured the pidfile
> pidfile: "/var/run/unbound/unbound.pid"

FWIW, in a recent package of unbound in debian, I patched out unbound
code which creates the pid file. Because apparently unbound is the only
service out there which still tries to chown pidfile to the unpriv user
and clean it up at exit, which is unnecessary but makes whole thing
open to various security issues.  If you want to have unbound pid file,
I suggest to use start-stop-daemon with --make-pidfile to manage
unbound pid file in a reliable way.

/mjt