Version 1.15.0 compatible with libunbound.so.2, is it good idea?

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Fri May 6 19:56:47 UTC 2022

On Fri, 6 May 2022, Petr Menšík via Unbound-users wrote:

> We have request [1] to rebase unbound to recent version on RHEL8.

yay :)

> dug into the code and found relatively simple way to keep ABI unchanged
> and compatible with version 1.7.3, which is still there. It allows
> upgrading to unbound 1.15.0 without the need to recompile depending
> binaries. Or at least it seems so.
>
> Would you review the change [2], whether it creates possible
> regressions? Do you think it might be good idea?

This looks good to me. The only change I would make is instead of using
0x100 RCODE to signal this, to use a value in the 3841-4095 range as
technically 256 can become a valid RCODE:

https://www.iana.org/assignments/dns-parameters/dns-parameters.xhtml#dns-parameters-6

> I have already found libreswan does not expect such change and would not
> build with such version.

You mean to say that with the patch, no recompile is needed right ?

Thanks for looking at modernizing rhel8 unbound !

Paul