understanding outbound-msg-retry feature

George Thessalonikefs george at nlnetlabs.nl
Tue Jun 21 08:13:08 UTC 2022

Hi Ashok,

What you expect to happen (only 5 queries) is actually happening if in
the forwarding address you put a pure resolver that will give back a
single answer to your queries. You can easily test with any validating
public resolver and query for bogus.nlnetlabs.nl for example.
If you list more addresses, then it's going to be 5 queries for each
address.
At least this is what I also observe here.

By using named in the forward-addr and probably having resolver and
nameserver capabilities configured, more packets may be generated
between Unbound and named depending on the answers. You can check the
queries sent and received with verbosity 4.

Best regards,
-- George