outbound-msg-retry definition query

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Mon Jul 11 11:27:45 UTC 2022

On Jul 11, 2022, at 06:51, ashok athukuri via Unbound-users <unbound-users at lists.nlnetlabs.nl> wrote:

> As per https://nlnetlabs.nl/documentation/unbound/unbound.conf/
>
> outbound-msg-retry: <number>
>             The number of retries Unbound will do in case of  a  non  positive
>             response is received. If a forward nameserver is used, this is the
>             number of retries per forward nameserver in case of throwaway  re-
>             sponse.
> what is "non positive" response here SERVFAIL or NXDOMAIN or BOTH?

I have not read the code in this instance but I would normally interpret "non-positive response" to mean "RCODE is not NOERROR".

(There is a particular kind of response which is considered negative in some circumstances where RCODE == NOERROR and the answer section is empty, but I do not think this is one of those circumstances.)

Joe