AXFR for RPZ zone marked "ok" bug failed

dns at todoo.biz dns at todoo.biz
Thu Apr 7 09:14:20 UTC 2022

Hello,

I am trying to debug an unbound system whom goal is to provide a local DNS server and our own filtering with RPZ.

I have setup a bind server distributing my RPZ zones and I can successfully AXFR from anywhere for the zone "my-zone.rpz"

I have setup the unbound server and enabled both "module-config: "respip validator iterator" and configured the zone with :

rpz:
	name: "my-zone.rpz"
	zonefile: "my-zone.rpz"
	primary: 1.2.3.4
	rpz-log: yes
	rpz-log-name: "my-zone.rpz"

When I try to load the zone with : "unbound-control -c /var/unbound/unbound.conf rpz_enable blog.rpz.dynfi" --> "OK"

When I try to transfer zone with : "unbound-control -c /var/unbound/unbound.conf auth_zone_transfer blog.rpz.dynfi" --> "OK"

But IRL (in real life) nothing happens…
My BIND server does not receive the request for zone transfer.

So I might have missed something somewhere… ?

Also I don't know how to use drill to test zone transfer (if this is possible)… ?

Thanks for your help.

—

Greg Bernard
FreeBSD amateur since 20 years