Adding root servers as local secondary zone to local caching server

Charles Sharp charles at cocosolutions.com
Wed Sep 8 15:19:39 UTC 2021

On 9/3/2021 7:49 AM, Jaap Akkerhuis via Unbound-users wrote
>  Mark Abram via Unbound-users writes:
>
>  > This is an interesting thread.

> Just as most other resolver, these IANA root hints are actually
> always used by unbound since they are compiled in. Only when one
> wants to use a completely different root there is a need to supply
> a separate root hints file.
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks Jaap, but I do have a follow-up since no one responded to my last
question about root hints vs forwarders.

My understanding was that you can use either/or.

Meaning, if you use root hints, you don't need to use forwarders, but
more importantly, if you use forwarders, then the root hints _*are not
used*_.

So... is this true? Or can you expound on this?

Thanks...