Building Unbound on Big Sur

Eoin Norris e.norris at mac.com
Thu Apr 22 13:42:26 UTC 2021

Hi Guys

Thanks for al the help. I have tried on Catalina as well, no luck.  Also tried the latest.

I managed to download OpenSSL to a /usr/local directory to see if it would build. I am still getting the

configure: error: OpenSSL found in /usr/local, but version 0.9.7 or higher is required

I thought this was where that test is.

# see if OPENSSL 1.0.0 or later (has EVP MD and Verify independency)
$as_echo_n "checking if openssl supports SHA2 and ECDSA with EVP... " >&6; }
if grep OPENSSL_VERSION_TEXT $ssldir/include/openssl/opensslv.h | grep "OpenSSL" >/dev/null; then
if grep OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER $ssldir/include/openssl/opensslv.h | grep 0x0 >/dev/null; then
{ $as_echo "$as_me:${as_lineno-$LINENO}: result: no" >&5
$as_echo "no" >&6; }

That looks ok though,  as the top of the opensslv.h is

 */
# define OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER  0x101010bfL
# define OPENSSL_VERSION_TEXT    "OpenSSL 1.1.1k  25 Mar 2021"

So it looks like it is checking that OpenSSL is there in the line with the OPENSSL_VERSION_TEXT and that 0x0 isn’t there in the line with the OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER, anything above that is version 1.0 or so.  So that is ok.

I also see this. Any idea what this is doing?

if ac_fn_c_try_link "$LINENO"; then :

$as_echo "#define HAVE_EVP_SHA256 1" >>confdefs.h

                            { $as_echo "$as_me:${as_lineno-$LINENO}: result: yes" >&5
$as_echo "yes" >&6; }

else

                            { $as_echo "$as_me:${as_lineno-$LINENO}: result: no" >&5
$as_echo "no" >&6; }
                            as_fn_error $? "OpenSSL found in $ssldir, but version 0.9.7 or higher is required" "$LINENO" 5

fi

Have logged to here:

https://github.com/NLnetLabs/unbound/issues/471 <https://github.com/NLnetLabs/unbound/issues/471>

Eoin