Re: user ‘Unbound’ does not exist [was: Unbound-users Digest, Vol 2, Issue 18]

Benno Overeinder benno at NLnetLabs.nl
Fri Feb 14 13:59:56 UTC 2020

On 2/14/20 12:09 AM, SIMON BABY wrote:
> Hi benno,
> I installed unbound by downloading the source code and make install.
> Below are the details you asked. I did not installed unbound from
> package distribution.

You might consider installing Unbound from the Ubuntu 16.01 repository.
Admittedly, it is version 1.5.8, but do you depend on features in more
recent versions?  Ubuntu does apply security patches to the packages, so
you are safe in that respect.

Unbound packages in Ubuntu/Debian, Redhat/CentOS, *BSD comes with an
installation script that creates users/groups (e.g. unbound/unbound),
directories, and installs init.d/rc.d scripts for starting up services
such as Unbound.

If you want to install Unbound from scratch, you have to take care of
all of these steps yourself.  A good guideline is the Unbound DNS
tutorial https://calomel.org/unbound_dns.html.

Cheers,

-- Benno

--