Need updated RHEL/CentOS RPM

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Mon Sep 16 21:49:10 UTC 2019

On 16/09/2019 18:00, Guevara, Daniel via Unbound-users wrote:

Hi Daniel,

> The latest version available to build from source is 1.9.3. I can
> obviously explore creating my own RPM but I was thinking the entire
> community can benefit from an updated RPM. Does anyone have a suggestion
> on how to get a 1.9.x RHEL/CentOS created for everyone to download/use.

RHEL tends to be very conservative with packages. It's unfortunate that
unbound is in CentOS base. The chances of Redhat updating it in CentOS 7
are very low. Even in the recently-released RHEL 8, unbound is at
version 1.7.3, and will probably be pinned at 1.7.x.

If you want to use the newest version, then I suggest rolling your own
RPM. And if your do that, I suggest naming your package carefully. Don't
call it "unbound", so that there's no conflict or accidental "upgrade"
in case there's a new version in the base repositories. Call it
"yourcompany-unbound" or something like that. There is an "unbound.spec"
file in the "contrib" directory in the source, but it's woefully out of
date. However, you may be able to use it as a template.

Regards,
Anand