DNS via SSH

Wouter Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu Oct 24 07:31:02 UTC 2019

Hi August,

On 10/24/19 4:41 AM, August West via Unbound-users wrote:
> I am running a local Unbound server on my laptop that is configured to provide
> secure DNS service to just to my laptop using DoT.  To do so, I am using:
>
> forward-zone:
>          name: "."
>          forward-tls-upstream: yes
>          forward-addr: 1.1.1.1 at 853
>
> This is working for me, but I occasionally I have to connect to a network that
> it behind an corporate firewall that acts as a man-in-the-middle on all TLS
> requests.  This causes Unbound to fail to resolve names.
>
> To work around this problem, I have attempted to forward requests to a trusted
> server that is available through an SSH tunnel.  SSH only carries TCP, so
> I added some further settings:

You want the setting
server:
	tcp-upstream: yes

That moves all traffic upstream to use TCP.  Not TLS, but TCP.  This is
the option to make unbound use TCP for upstream queries.

That said, I would think the TLS would also be a TCP stream and thus
also move through the SSH tunnel, so I don't understand that part.

Best regards, Wouter