regression in 1.8.x from 1.7.3

Wouter Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Tue Jan 8 08:38:23 UTC 2019

Hi Andreas,

On 12/29/18 12:29 PM, Andreas Pflug via Unbound-users wrote:
> I'm running unbound as resolver on routers for some years now, with some
> local domain overrides. On the router, bind912 is installed as secondary
> authoritative server for the local zones serving on port 5053, so the
> unbound config has "do-not-query-localhost: no" and the appropriate
> forward zones to 127.0.0.1 at 5053.
>
> This setup worked like a charm up to unbound 1.7.3. After upgrading to
> 1.8.1 /1.8.2, the unbound process will stop resolving local domains from
> the override after some minutes. Older requests are served correctly
> from cache, but newer ones are queried from upstream, which fails of
> course with an unknown TLD. flushing the local domain, all following
> requests will go upstream. Nothing is logged.
>
> Restarting the unbound process will heal the situation for some minutes,
> but then the problem rises again. Replacing the unbound binary with the
> 1.7.3 version fixes the problem.

I don't see what change in 1.8.0 would create the problem.  New defaults
in 1.8.0 enable harden-below-nxdomain and minimal-responses.  Turning
those off changes behaviour?

Can you run with verbosity high (4 or 5) and then you would have logs.
That should explain why it is going to the upstream.

Also your config.  The forward-zone to the local bind server, is not
called a local-zone (local-zone is a term coined for static data or
special processing that is performed before the cache is checked or
resolution is performed by Unbound).  Disable forward-first, if it was
enabled.  Disable stub-prime (if it was a stub-zone, really, that would
have picked up the NS records, likely from qname minimisation(?) and
then go to those upstream servers instead of the localhost ?).

Best regards, Wouter