Unbound with split VPN and local domain

A. Schulze sca at andreasschulze.de
Sun Apr 14 12:00:49 UTC 2019

Am 14.04.19 um 12:43 schrieb Herbert Meier via Unbound-users:
> Dear experts,
>
> I would like to configure unbound for my setup but I am totally lost with the terminology and the settings. Here is my setup:
>
>   * I have a split VPN client runnging that forwards certain subnets to the VPN server and forwards *all* DNS request to the VPN server side (I guess all subdomains of myvpn.org <http://myvpn.org> should be answered by the DNS on the VPN server side)
>   * I have a local router with domain "lan"
>   * I would like to use my ISPs DNS but do caching myself (not sure if the router does it)
>
> How could I make all this work, i.e.,
>
>   * Forward all DNS request for *.myvpn.org <http://myvpn.org> through VPN
>   * Query the route for for request *.lan
>   * And use my ISPs DNS (via the router 192.168.178.1) for all other queries?
>
> Thanks so much for your help.

Hello Herbert,

assuming VPN-Server side an router act as authoritative nameserver you may try this:

    stub-zone:
	name: "myvpn.org."
	stub-addr: <ip-address of your DNS on the VPN server side>
    stub-zone:
	name: "lan."
	stub-addr: <local router's ip address>
    forward-zone:
	name: "."
	forward-addr: <ip address of your ISP's resolver>

You may replace a stub-zones with a forward-zones

Andreas