Unbound stats -> unbound_munin_ + another monitoring system

Havard Eidnes he at uninett.no
Thu Apr 11 11:23:49 UTC 2019

[[ Setting up a tangent on cumulative/non-cumulative counters ]]

> I set the Unbound configuration to statistic-cumulative: yes

Truth be told, I never understood why anyone with their wits
intact (not picking on you in particular...) would configure
"statistic-cumulative: no".

If you have a single monitoring client, that could work, for some
value of "work".  However, with such a configuration, as soon as
you sample the stats with e.g. unbound-control, you ruin that
interval's counters for your monitoring client by resetting them
to zero "out of order" wrt. the monitoring client's periodic
polling.

With multiple monitoring clients any hopes of accuracy is
thrown out the window.

It always struck me as a bad idea to even offer the option to the
operator; IMHO the counters should always be counters in the
sense used by SNMP, i.e. never reset to zero on read.

Regards,

- Håvard