a word of caution about the new default of so-reuseport on FreeBSD

Benno Overeinder benno at NLnetLabs.nl
Mon Oct 8 12:01:38 UTC 2018

On 21/09/2018 20:27, nusenu via Unbound-users wrote:
> When upgrading (and before restarting unbound) I explicitly set
> the new defaults in the conf file to make their value explicit.
> ( so-reuseport, harden-below-nxdomain, minimal-responses)
>
> After I upgraded and restarted unbound all queries were handled by only a single thread
> even though I have multiple threads enabled in the config, as a result of that the number of
> queries in the queue skyrocketed.
>
> I expected this to be related to so-reuseport and after setting that to 'no',
> things were back to normal (all threads handled queries again, queue size back to normal).

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  so-reuseport behaves
indeed different for Linux and FreeBSD.  We will schedule a different
default so-reuseport config setting for FreeBSD in Unbound 1.8.2.  (It
will not appear in 1.8.1 which will released this week.)

Best regards,

-- Benno

--
Benno J. Overeinder