Unbound 1.7.3 mem error generating DS request

Wouter Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Tue Aug 14 07:19:51 UTC 2018

Hi Phil,

On 08/13/2018 07:31 PM, Phil Porada via Unbound-users wrote:
> Hello,
>
> With a recent upgrade to Unbound 1.7.3, we have been noticing instances
> of the following errors in our logs:

What must be the cause is not a memory failure, it prints the wrong
thing, this code path is also excercised for memory failures, but in
this case I think the cycle detection made it fail.  This is the cycle
detection in that DNS lookups need other DNS lookups to succeed and a
cycle is detected in this.  Unbound stops it.  This cycle detection is
printed on verbosity level 4.  And then this error is generated.

Not sure how this is caused, eg. a qtype DS lookup is needed for ... for
itself.

It can be harmless to ignore, but I should improve the error reporting.
Unbound can try other options after detecting the cycle, and if those
succeed, the problem is solved.

Best regards, Wouter