Unbound 1.7.3 mem error generating DS request

Phil Porada philporada at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 17:31:28 UTC 2018

Hello,

With a recent upgrade to Unbound 1.7.3, we have been noticing instances of
the following errors in our logs:

  Could not generate request: out of memory
  mem error generating DS request

System memory stats are fine, open file descriptors are within limits, used
sockets are within limits. We cannot correlate these errors with any
problematic symptoms.

We want to be thorough and we want to be purposeful. Should this error be
ignored, or is it prudent to give unbound more memory for DS requests?
Which configuration options apply?

Thank You!