reload hangs and ultimately results in a restart on Ubuntu 18.04

Simon Deziel simon+unbound at sdeziel.info
Fri Aug 10 14:48:00 UTC 2018

Hi Mike

Mike Pastore wrote:> I've installed Unbound on Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS from
> pool/universe/u/unbound/unbound_1.6.7-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb. There is
> something not quite right with the service unit. If you do `systemctl
> reload unbound`, it hangs for a bit, then times out. In the log, it looks
> like it reloads successfully, but at the timeout it subsequently restarts
> Unbound. If you do `unbound-control reload`, the same thing happens--just
> without the CLI hang.
The issue you describe looks like [1] which was fixed in Debian not too
long ago by upgrading to 1.7.2. I couldn't find the relevant upstream
bug mentioned in the changelog. If someone could point us to the
relevant bug/commit it would be appreciated :)

> I thought I'd ask about it here before rushing to open a bug report.
You may want to open a bug on Launchpad to have the fix backported to
Ubuntu.

Regards,
Simon

1: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=892914