reload hangs and ultimately results in a restart on Ubuntu 18.04

Mike Pastore mike at oobak.org
Mon Aug 6 18:44:02 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

I've installed Unbound on Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS from
pool/universe/u/unbound/unbound_1.6.7-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb. There is
something not quite right with the service unit. If you do `systemctl
reload unbound`, it hangs for a bit, then times out. In the log, it looks
like it reloads successfully, but at the timeout it subsequently restarts
Unbound. If you do `unbound-control reload`, the same thing happens--just
without the CLI hang.

I thought I'd ask about it here before rushing to open a bug report. The
service unit is set to Type=notify so I wonder if Unbound needs to send an
extra notification after a successful reload attempt, or if it's sending a
spurious notification before a reload attempt.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Mike