What is the most convenient way for logging request including client source address?

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Nov 21 10:48:43 UTC 2016

Hi Iman,

On 13/11/16 12:43, iman Khosravi via Unbound-users wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm looking for a way to get detail logging from Unbound with less
> impact on the performance of our servers.
> I searched around and it seems both unbound itself and other third party
> modules like Dnstap is capable of logging request/reply with client
> source address.
> It seems using verbosity of 5 for getting client source address put
> pressure on unbound performance as i see its some kind of logging
> information specified as Debug in log files and i got many other thinks
> that I'm not interested in.

The option log-queries: yes logs the query name and IP address to the
logs and does not have the debug overhead that verbosity 5 has.  It does
not log in more detail, something for which dnstap is good.  For
lightweight, just query names and IP addresses the log-queries option is
an easy way to log it.

local-zone type inform will also log the querier for a smaller, select,
part of the namespace.  Use this if you want to have even less log
messages, only for specific names (and specific suffixes).

Best regards, Wouter