problems with stub-zones

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Thu Aug 25 07:55:45 UTC 2016

On 24.8.2016 20:56, A. Schulze via Unbound-users wrote:

> Am 24.08.2016 um 19:05 schrieb Benny Pedersen via Unbound-users:
>> On 2016-08-24 10:39, A. Schulze via Unbound-users wrote:
>>
>>> forward-zone:
>>>     name: "10-in-addr.arpa."
>>>     forward-addr: ${nameserver1-ip}
>>>     forward-addr: ${nameserver2-ip}
>>>

>> add
>>
>> forward-first: yes
>>
>> does this fix it ?
>>
>> if so its a bug imho ?
>>

> reading "man unbound.conf" again and again there are more questions then answers.
>
>    forward-zone:
>       There may be multiple forward-zone: clauses. Each with a name: and zero
>       or  more  hostnames or IP addresses.
>
>    same text for stub-zone...
>
> what's the use case for a stub/forward-zone with zero stub/forward-host:  and
> stub/forward-addr: ?
>
> stub/forward-first is also confusing to me. default: no = disabled = "do not
> stub/forward-first" = "stub/forward second" ??
> again: it may be helpful to know at least one use case.

Hello,

following text is not directly related to Unbound but it describes use-cases
for forwarding:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Linux_Domain_Identity_Authentication_and_Policy_Guide/managing-dns-forwarding.html

Sub-chapter "⁠Forward Policies" describes behavior as implemented in BIND 9
but I guess that Unbound will so the same thing.

I hope it helps.

Petr Spacek  @  Red Hat