Nailing up TCP connections

Noah Robin noah.robin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 15:59:07 UTC 2016

We have a medium-sized environment; we have several thousand zones and see high hundreds of millions of DNS queries per day with a ~98% cache hit rate. The several hundred QPS we see between the resolvers and the name servers are what's left. A significant amount of that traffic is for known-low TTL names (GSLB rotors for example), but the sheer number of DNS records (and the number of DNS clients we see) ensures that some queries will still need to be sent to the authoritative name servers.

I'd think that some other high-traffic installations could benefit from this feature (although I am, admittedly, slightly biased).

Thoughts from the devs?

Noah