[Unbound-users] Performance tuning tips?

Jaco Lesch jacol at saix.net
Tue Feb 5 11:03:23 UTC 2013

Andreas

Here is some info regarding your questions:-

The portion of unbound.conf pertaining to the "HowTo Optimise":
         # Optimise settings
         num-threads: 112
         #
         msg-cache-slabs: 64
         rrset-cache-slabs: 64
         infra-cache-slabs: 64
         key-cache-slabs: 64
         rrset-cache-size: 1024m
         msg-cache-size: 512m
         infra-cache-numhosts: 100000
         #
         # Larger socket buffer
         # For Solaris 11 set the following UDP parameter 1st:
         # 'ipadm set-prop -p max_buf=8388608 udp'
         so-rcvbuf: 8m
         so-sndbuf: 8m
         #
         outgoing-range: 8192
         num-queries-per-thread: 4096

Not sure if the following have any affect:
         incoming-num-tcp: 128
         outgoing-num-tcp: 256

The summary from "prstat" command:
    PID USERNAME  SIZE   RSS STATE  PRI NICE      TIME  CPU PROCESS/NLWP
  12007 dnsadmin 6376M 6374M cpu56   33    0 336:22:17  11% unbound/112
Total: 47 processes, 862 lwps, load averages: 27.53, 27.50, 27.57

The upstream connections is ok, we have a BIND9 recursive DNS in the
same segment running in excess of 5200 qps with a load average of
between 7 and 8, summary from "prstat" below
    PID USERNAME  SIZE   RSS STATE  PRI NICE      TIME  CPU PROCESS/NLWP
   1469 root     1684M 1680M cpu8    52    0 2871:14:3  21% named/35
Total: 34 processes, 203 lwps, load averages: 7.54, 7.52, 7.46

These are production recursive DNS's taking a mix load from ADSL users
and, yes, DNSSec is enabled. Disabled IPv6 in the config:
     do-ip6: no

Regards