[Unbound-users] faa.gov is not resolvable using DNSSEC resolver.

Mon Oct 10 18:19:49 UTC 2011

Hi Jamal,

Your trace shows that unbound thinks the connection drops MTU 1500+
packets.  Faa.gov uses large keys and has a lot of answers above 1480 -
i.e. DNSKEY, NXDOMAIN answers.  Thus your trouble likely stems from
fragmentation issues.  Your server cannot receive UDP DNS responses that
are larger than 1480 or so.

A simple dig @..faaserver faa.gov DNSKEY +dnssec from the server shows
the timeout it produces, likely.

The best solution is to fix the path that is dropping UDP fragments.
Fix your firewall, upgrade it, change cisco router rules on old
equipment.  It must be close to your end, because I can get the
fragments just fine.  This is the best fix, because it allows your
server to run better with large responses, and generally cleans up your
network.

The workaround is edns-buffer-size: 1280 in unbound.conf.

A code fix, is in svn trunk development version of unbound.  That
version should fallback to smaller edns size automatically for you.

And there are useful MTU size test sites out there too.

Best regards,
   Wouter