[Unbound-users] NOTIFY implementation to unbound

Greg A. Woods woods at planix.ca
Mon Oct 19 17:24:53 UTC 2009

At Wed, 14 Oct 2009 20:38:04 +0200, Jakob Schlyter <jakob at rfc.se> wrote:
Subject: Re: [Unbound-users] NOTIFY implementation to unbound

> I haven't made any statements regarding this so far, but I will now. I
> agree completely with Ondrey here and I would recommend against
> implementing cache flush using NOTIFY. there are far better, and
> protocol-wise more prudent, ways to implement this feature.

Please name one such method which is immediately compatible with
existing entrenched nameservers, (eg. BIND-based installs).

And keep in mind that the site installing Unbound won't likely have the
root password for the upstream master nameserver either.

NOTIFY is already in use now for very similar purposes (conceptually
speaking), and it works just fine.

Unbound already has a "zone flush" feature -- it's just a matter of glue
to make Unbound compatible with existing NOTIFY-based mechanisms.

Or would you rather also remove the zone flush feature to avoid what you
seem to be saying would be an abuse of it?

I'm just trying to get a handle on why this obvious extension of an
existing feature is being shot down without any apparent consideration
to interoperability and extension of existing features.

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                VE3TCP          RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>      Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>