[Unbound-users] Feature request - detailed statistics about unbound

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Sep 15 11:57:56 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 04:18:02PM +0300,
 Beastie <beastie24 at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 22 lines which said:

> It would be very useful to have the ability to see additional
> information insight of the unbound statistics reports.

My personal opinion: no.

> In general it would be grate to have separate tool/command that will
> produces this kind of statistics.

A name server is already complicated enough and I no longer think it
is a good idea to complicate it further with statistics, specially
because of the security problems that may arise. Keep the code small
and clean, please.

Statistics are, in my opinion, best handled with completely separate
programs which sniff the requests and the responses. I recommend DSC
<https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/src/dsc>