[RPKI] routinator 0.10.2 vs. 0.11.2

John Kristoff jtk at dataplane.org
Tue Sep 6 20:58:40 UTC 2022

On Tue, 6 Sep 2022 22:39:53 +0200
Alex Band via RPKI <rpki at lists.nlnetlabs.nl> wrote:

> I also noticed that the dataplane.org repository operated by John
> Kristoff went from 12474 VRPs to 0 today.

*waves*

Our PP was experiencing some strange synchronization activity.  We
starting seeing a far greater proportion of RPs using rsync.  As part
of an effort to debug, and generally clean up the PP, I ended up
removing the research ROAs previously created.

It appears the reason for all the rsync was due to the HTTPS process
itself not properly handling requests RP.  As Job pointed out elsewhere,
an interesting failure scenario.  Why this occurred is not clear, but
after a kick, that RRDP vs rsync activity resumed back to normal.

> It seems quite some things are in flux at the moment. If you want to
> compare some numbers, here’s the status page of a public Routinator
> instance we run:

I'll be doing more analysis and then some CA/PP upgrades on some RPKI
software we're using so there may be some additional flux in the coming
weeks, but I don't expect anything dramatic enough that most would even
notice.

John