[RPKI] offlist Re: Changing RPKI state

Luuk Hendriks luuk at nlnetlabs.nl
Fri Feb 26 09:21:58 UTC 2021

Hi Mikael, all,

On Thu 25 Feb 2021, 13:00, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> Anyhow, my point was about definition of "disappeared". Did something
> disappear if the server wasn't reachable and thus it's unknown what the
> state is?
>
> One way to look at it: If I can't get it (timeout), it's not there.
>
> Another way to look at it: If I can't get it (timeout), I have no idea, I'll
> presume last known state is still true and I'll presume anything I fetched
> previously is still relevant until it expires.
>
> So basically, should the tool behave like it has a cache or should it behave
> like if it's cold-starting each time.

The data behind rpki.today is (the csvext-formatted) output from
Routinator which, in case of connectivity issues, uses older data from
an earlier fetch. So in case of an unreachable server, VRPs will not be
shown as 'disappeared' as long as they are still valid timewise.

Hope that clarifies, cheers,
 luuk