[RPKI] suggestion to remove as0 restriction in krill 0.8.0

Tim Bruijnzeels tim at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Nov 2 11:28:30 UTC 2020

Hi Lukas,

> On 2 Nov 2020, at 12:19, Lukas Tribus <lukas at ltri.eu> wrote:
>
> Hello Tim,
>

> On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 10:29, Tim Bruijnzeels via RPKI
> <rpki at lists.nlnetlabs.nl> wrote:
>> Please let me know what you think. Again all this guidance is intended to make life better for operators, so I am very happy to get your feedback..
>
> I think people operating a RPKI CA can be trusted to understand what
> an overlap means.
>
> Making suggestions or providing warnings and guidance in the UI is a
> good idea. Enforcing ROA's to your own standards ... not so much in my
> opinion.
>
> What if 3320 wants to retire the /11 max-length 13 and migrate
> *gracefully* to a /13 max-length 13 for whatever reason? Unlikely,
> maybe ... but does that matter?
>

>> I understand, but we were trying to give people guidance
>
> You can give people guidance without hard enforcements.

Sure, fair point.

> I'd be extremely reluctant to force people to do everything my way,
> because that would imply that I'd know (or think I know) better than
> everybody else about every single use-case.
>
> Would you drive an autonomous vehicle that doesn't allow the driver to
> take over when shit hits the fan?

Well, what we were aiming for was more like an automatic gearbox. But I already conceded that we have taken too much control away here.

> Software tools are supposed to be just that: a tool. To achieve a goal
> through certain means. Doesn't need to save the world in the process.

So, just warnings, works for me.

But, I would prefer to have a comprehensive 0.8.1 release, where the restrictions are removed *and* the warnings/suggestions make sense. So if you have any feedback on the latter I would love to hear it.

Tim