[RPKI] suggestion to remove as0 restriction in krill 0.8.0

Lukas Tribus lukas at ltri.eu
Mon Nov 2 11:19:01 UTC 2020

Hello Tim,

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 10:29, Tim Bruijnzeels via RPKI
<rpki at lists.nlnetlabs.nl> wrote:
> Please let me know what you think. Again all this guidance is intended to make life better for operators, so I am very happy to get your feedback..

I think people operating a RPKI CA can be trusted to understand what
an overlap means.

Making suggestions or providing warnings and guidance in the UI is a
good idea. Enforcing ROA's to your own standards ... not so much in my
opinion.

What if 3320 wants to retire the /11 max-length 13 and migrate
*gracefully* to a /13 max-length 13 for whatever reason? Unlikely,
maybe ... but does that matter?

> I understand, but we were trying to give people guidance

You can give people guidance without hard enforcements.

I'd be extremely reluctant to force people to do everything my way,
because that would imply that I'd know (or think I know) better than
everybody else about every single use-case.

Would you drive an autonomous vehicle that doesn't allow the driver to
take over when shit hits the fan?

Software tools are supposed to be just that: a tool. To achieve a goal
through certain means. Doesn't need to save the world in the process.

Lukas