[nsd-users] NSD zone file GENERATE directive

Tuomo Soini tis at foobar.fi
Tue Mar 21 11:34:52 UTC 2023

On Mon, 20 Mar 2023 14:44:16 -0400
Robert Blayzor via nsd-users <nsd-users at lists.nlnetlabs.nl> wrote:

> On 3/20/23 13:41, Anand Buddhdev via nsd-users wrote:
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > NSD doesn't understand the GENERATE directive. You'll have to
> > create your zone files using a script or template engine.
>

> Understood but certainly not helpful with large dynamic IPv6 PTR's...
>
> Not that dynamic hosts NEED PTR's, but would still be nice to have.

It is not really possible to generate IPv6 PTRs (and AAAA records). Zone
files would be all too large.

For this you need dns server which can generate responses on fly, like
knot-dns mod-synthrecord.

https://www.knot-dns.cz/docs/latest/html/modules.html#synthrecord-automatic-forward-reverse-records

Also powerdns can do similar with lua scripting but I don't have
experience from that.

--
Tuomo Soini <tis at foobar.fi>
Foobar Linux services