[nsd-users] how does zonefile-write work?

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Thu Jul 28 14:33:24 UTC 2022

On 28/07/2022 10:10, Alexander Varejão via nsd-users wrote:

Hi Alexander,

[snip]

> Ok, here's my doubt. The file /var/lib/nsd/db/00/foo.bar/foo.bar would be
> automatically created after 3600 seconds or I could be run "nsd-control
> write foo.bar" to create it.

The file 00/foo.bar/foo.bar will be created within at most 3600 seconds.
However, you need to ensure that the directory hierarchy 00/foo.bar
exists. NSD will not create directories.

If you want to force NSD to write the zone file before 3600 seconds have
elapsed, you can do that with "nsd-control write <zone>".

Also note that NSD only writes a new zone file when the zone is updated.
If a zone doesn't have any updates, NSD does not write out a new file.

Regards,
Anand