[nsd-users] NSD 4.x - slave server zone files?

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Mon Dec 25 08:57:23 UTC 2017

On 25/12/2017 05:11, Robert Blayzor wrote:

Hi Robert,

> I am using the database file, and I do see that maybe it’s all being dump there.
>
> When enabling the database, does it no longer write the individual zone files?
>
> Database may be fine, so long as a saved copy of the zones are
> somewhere. We are not running chroot, and zonefiles-write is not set 0;
> no errors in log. So perhaps the database is it.

Here's the setting from nsd.conf:

zonefiles-write: <seconds>
  Write changed secondary zones to their zonefile every N seconds. If
  the zone (pattern) configuration has "" zonefile, it  is  not
  written. Zones that have received zone transfer updates are written to
  their zonefile.  Default is 0 (disabled) when there is a
  database, and 3600 (1 hour) when database is "".  The database also
  commits zone transfer contents.  You  can  configure  it  away
  from the default by putting the config statement for zonefiles-write:
  after the database: statement in the config file.

The default configuration uses the database, and on a slave, that's
enough. There's no need to write plain text zone files. If you really
want to write out zone files to disk when the database is in use, then
you have to run:

nsd-control write

You can also choose NOT to use the database, by setting:

database: ""

In this case, NSD will flush the zone files to disk, but only once per
hour by default. You can control how often they are written to disk with
the above setting.

Regards,
Anand