[nsd-users] NSD compressing RP content

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Mar 4 15:00:10 UTC 2013

Hi Peter,

Sure we can send RP domain names uncompressed from now on.

I can understand your reasoning: RP is not defined in RFC 1035, hence it
is not allowed to use *name* compression.

However, RP (and AFSDB and RT) are defined in RFC 1183, and at the time
that that specification was written, name compression was allowed for
these records (not explicitly mentioned in the specification). RFC3597
deals with this saying that *receiving* servers should decompress domain
names in these RRs.

So I fail to see where things might be harmful. PowerDNS should have no
problem if it implements RFC3597, as RP should be decompressed, as BIND
and Unbound does too (Unbound actually decompresses all domain names of
known RR types).

Also, I assume your request is not limited to RP, but is also for AFSDB
and RT.

Best regards,
  Matthijs