[nsd-users] NSD compressing RP content

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Fri Mar 1 14:22:37 UTC 2013

Hello,

while investigating a report from Jan-Piet Mens (resulting in http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/changeset/3109), we discovered that NSD (both 3.2.15 and 4.0.0b4) compresses labels in RP content. As far as I can see, this is not allowed by RFC3597 section 4 paragraph 1/2.

PowerDNS Recursor, like Unbound and BIND, now deals with this as 3597 section 4 paragraph 4 says we SHOULD. Nevertheless, it would be great if NSD could honor the MUST NOT in paragraph 2.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/