[nsd-users] xfrd process not starting

Martin Svec martin.svec at zoner.cz
Tue Jan 24 19:58:56 UTC 2012

Hello John,

our NSD servers run about 100k zones and we had a number of
problems with xfrd too -- terribly high cpu usage during
reloads, waste of memory, etc. I sent few reports and
patches about these problems in 2010, see e.g.
http://open.nlnetlabs.nl/pipermail/nsd-users/2010-February/001071.html,
http://open.nlnetlabs.nl/pipermail/nsd-users/2010-March/001078.html.
But finally I realized that xfrd code cannot be easily
adapted for such a large number of zones and decided to
disable it at all. Because most of our DNS operations
involve adding or removing a zone, we created our own
synchronization that simply distributes compiled nsd.db
among nameservers and so xfrd is useless for us.

Attached I send you our patch to disable xfrd in nsd-3.2.9.
It's a dirty single-purpose hack but our nameservers run
with it nearly 2 years.

I'd like to see an official option to disable xfrd
functionality too, but I'm too busy to create a patch that
would be suitable for upstream.

You can also try --enable-mmap configure option that
replaces malloc-based allocator with mmap-based allocator
for zone data. It's primary goal is to address excessive
memory usage of xfrd, see my post in the list archive. It's
marked as experimental but we have it enabled since March
2010 without issues.

Martin